On your weight loss journey with Phen Caps, eating a healthier Christmas dinner can be achieved by filling half your plate with steamed veggies, leaving the fat out of the gravy and choosing lighter meat over dark. However, for those of us who love the season’s calorie-laden sweeter treats, it’s more a case of either avoiding them altogether or throwing the diet out of the window for a few days. But it doesn’t have to be that way; here we have healthier versions of three Christmas favorites, to allow you to enjoy a little bit of the sweet stuff you really love!
No-Bake Chewy Truffle Cookies
These chewy sweet cookies start with dried dates for a natural sweetness, instead of the traditional combination of milk and sugar, and then get mixed with some cocoa, reduced-fat peanut butter and ground whole wheat graham crackers for a quick, satisfying, healthier treat.
Ingredients - Serves 10
• 1 cup dried pitted dates, 4 oz, chopped
• 1 cup water
• 1tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 2 tbsp honey or agave syrup
• 2 tbsp reduced-fat or natural chunky peanut butter
• 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• pinch of salt
• 8 full sheets whole wheat graham crackers, finely ground, about 1¼ cups
• 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, not instant
• Cooking spray
• For coating: unsweetened coconut flakes, crushed graham crackers, finely chopped peanuts, low-fat granola, about ½ cup of each, optional
1. Combine the dates, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
2. Simmer over medium heat, breaking up any large pieces of dates with a spoon, until the mixture resembles a thick paste, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the honey, peanut butter, cocoa powder, butter and salt until evenly combined.
4. Stir in the graham crackers and oats. Remove from heat.
5. Lightly mist a baking sheet with cooking spray.
6. Drop level tablespoons of the cookie mixture onto the prepared pan.
7. Refrigerate until just chilled and set, about 20 minutes.
8. Put desired optional toppings in small bowls. Roll each cookie in desired topping and flatten slightly into a plump disk.
9. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Serve chilled.
Some might say that Christmas comes but once a year, so why not just eat what you like. However, this tasty Christmas pudding is lower in fat and twice as delicious so why settle for more calories and less taste when you can have your pudding and eat it too?!
Ingredients - Serves 10
• 3 oz currants
• 3 oz sultanas
• 4 oz raisins
• 3 oz cherries
• 3 oz plain flour
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
• 2 oz brown sugar
• 2 tsp gravy browning
• Grated zest of half a lemon and half an orange
• 4 oz grated apple
• 4 oz grated carrot
• 4 tbsp brandy, rum or beer
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 4 tbsp skimmed milk
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 2 tbsp molasses or cane sugar syrup
• 4 tbsp brandy or rum for reheating
1. Combine all the dry ingredients and wet ingredients in 2 separate bowls.
2. Mix together, adding the beaten egg, until all the ingredients are well combined.
3. Pour the mixture into a 2lb pudding basin or glass bowl and cover with aluminum foil if steaming (not if micro waving).
4. Place in a steamer, cover and cook for 3 hours. For microwave cooking, after filling the basin, cover with an upturned plate and microwave on high power for 5 minutes.
5. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then microwave for a further 5 minutes.
6. To reheat, steam for 1-2 hours or microwave for 10 minutes.
7. When cooked, run a knife around the edge of the basin, turn out onto a serving plate and drizzle with brandy or rum.
Who doesn’t love a glass of this delicious drink during the holidays? This recipe uses unsweetened almond milk and stevia to cut down on the sugar and make for a healthier option this Christmas.
Ingredients - Serves 6
• 6 cups almond milk (unsweetened plain/vanilla)
• 1 cup egg whites (include one whole egg if you wish)
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 teaspoons rum extract
• Stevia, to taste
• 2 x pinch nutmeg, ground
• 2 x pinch cinnamon, ground
1. In a medium saucepan heat the almond milk, eggs and stevia.
2. You’ll need to remember to stir continuously. Heat & stir until the mixture thickens slightly – enough that it can coat the back of a spoon.
3. Stir in the vanilla essence, rum extract, one pinch of nutmeg & one pinch of cinnamon.
4. Remove from heat (or microwave).
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the eggnog has cooled (at least 3 hours).
6. Just prior to serving, ladle your yummy low fat eggnog into glasses, and garnish each with an extra little sprinkle of ground nutmeg & ground cinnamon.
Is your mouth watering yet?! With these great recipe ideas, you can still enjoy some of your Christmas favorites without straying too far from the path of your weight loss journey. With these great recipes in conjunction with Phen Caps, you can rest assure your waist line won’t grow over the tempting holiday season!
Let us know if you give any of them a try, or if have your own healthy holiday recipes, by commenting below!